Terri is an experienced insurance and litigation lawyer who has defended claims on behalf of domestic and international insurers for a decade. Terri regularly practices in various Australian jurisdictions, most notably NSW, the Australian Capital Territory, and South Australia. She is highly proficient with the relevant rules and legislations within those jurisdictions.
Terri possesses experience in general insurance litigation and advises her clients in relation to personal injury, coverage disputes, dual insurance, property damage, medical negligence, section 151Z recovery claims, and defamation. Terri proactively manages a full range of litigated and un-litigated claims in order to achieve prompt commercial and cost effective solutions for her clients. Her clients include contractors in the construction industry, sporting clubs, fitness centres, not-for-profit organisations, local councils, festival organisers, commercial cleaners, security guards, owners and managing agents of commercial premises, licensed clubs, and hoteliers.
Terri mentors the graduates and young lawyers within her team and in the firm. She is a passionate participant of various pro bono and community initiatives at Hall & Wilcox.
- Successfully overturning, on appeal to the Court of Appeal and the High Court of Australia, a NSW District Court decision which found that the employer and host employer of a plaintiff who injured his back whilst moving furniture did not breach their duty of care.
- Successfully defending a defamation claim against a not-for-profit Christian organisation following a three day hearing in the NSW District Court.
- Obtaining a judgment (against the plaintiff) in the client’s favour and securing payment of the client’s costs (directly from the plaintiff) on the first day of a three day hearing in the NSW District Court. Terri relied on a statutory defence in her client’s favour to secure the judgment and payment of costs for the client.
- Securing a contractual indemnity in favour of the client from a co-defendant and securing recovery of all costs, on an indemnity basis, for the client.
- Defending a NSW Club in a multi-million dollar, multiple defendants personal injury claim, during a ten day hearing in the Supreme Court of NSW. A successful negotiation was achieved on the fifth day of the hearing, significantly limiting exposure for both the insurer and the insured.
- Acting on behalf of head contractors, host employers, and subcontractors in relation to an array of serious workplace incidents involving labour hire personnel.
- Acting on behalf of local council in relation to an array of personal injury claims arising on council owned property and/or structures.
- Defending fitness centres in relation to personal injury claims arising from alleged defective gym equipment and/or personal training programs.
- Managing claims on behalf of cleaning contractors and centre managers for large retail and commercial premises.
- Managing claims for a boutique insurer of major sporting events and activities in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory including advising on the dangerous recreational activity provisions.
- Australian New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA)
- Young Lawyers Association
- Women In Insurance