Scott has more than seven years of litigation practice experience and a prior two years of general practice experience.
Scott takes a proactive approach to commercial disputes. His attention to detail, strong critical analysis abilities and an eye for strategy are the cornerstones of Scott’s successful litigation practice.
Scott advises on a wide variety of corporate and commercial disputes and insolvency matters. His clients include those in a range of industry sectors, including insolvency practitioners, energy and resources, commercial property, financial services and intellectual property and technology.
Scott regularly appears in the Supreme Court of Western Australia and the Federal Court of Australia and has experience in conducting matters before the lower courts and tribunals in Western Australia. He has extensive experience in having primary carriage of matters before the courts and instructing counsel (both senior and junior) throughout matters and at final hearing.
- Acted in relation to concurrent proceedings in the Warden’s Court, the Supreme Court of Western Australia and the District Court of Western Australia to secure right to purchase mining tenements from Receivers and Managers.
- Acted in dispute before the Federal Court of Australia and the related investigation into a former company officer’s conduct to trace missing assets worth more than A$30 million.
- Acted in a various preference payment claims and provided advice as to viability of such claims.
- Acting in various debt recovery and collection matters including issuing statutory demands, bankruptcy notices and winding up notices and applications relating thereto.
- Acted in a range of matters relating to breaches and interpretation of contract, misleading and deceptive conduct, debts, property rights, joint ventures, shareholder disputes, breaches of directors’ duties and issues arising under the Competition and Consumer Act.
- Acted for a corporate purchaser in defending a claim brought in the Supreme Court of Western Australia for wrongful termination of a contract for the purchase of a shopping centre.
- Acted for a landlord in an action to enforce a first ranking fixed and floating charge over the tenant’s assets and the competing interests created pursuant to a Deed of Company Arrangement.
- Represented a property developer involved in a broad-acre land subdivision on a dispute with its head contractor arising from a disputed interpretation of the scope of engagement of civil works for the commercial subdivision.
- Acted for the owner of registered designs and patents in Federal Court of Australia proceedings relating to infringement of its intellectual property rights.
- Acted in a challenge to liquor licensing subsidiary legislation in the Northern Territory.
- Acted in relation to various large scale liquor licensing applications.
- Acted for a large Australian building and construction company in relation to interpretation and enforcement of its statutory rights, debt recovery and related civil claims.