Rachael is a well-rounded and experienced insurance lawyer.
Rachael advises insurers and corporates in the defence of public and product liability claims (both personal injury and property damage), professional indemnity and medical negligence claims, and on policy response.
Rachael acts in defence of claims in the state and federal courts and before the Coroner’s court.
Rachael advises a range of industry groups including sport, hospitality, leisure, retail, cleaning, security, commercial and residential property management and owners, churches, schools, medical, health, aged care, child care, trades and construction.
Rachael is highly regarded for her experience, technical advice and commercial approach to reducing claims, risk and costs. Rachael is always accessible and focuses on the client’s needs.
Rachael is a former Board Director of Women Sport Australia, is a member of the Bondi Running and Triathlon Club, a member of Women in Insurance, the Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association, the Medico-Legal Society of NSW, AILA and the Women Lawyers Association of NSW.
She is a recommended leading public liability lawyer in NSW in Doyles’ Guide to the Australian Legal Profession, and a recommended insurance lawyer in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific.
- Representing sporting associations in coronial investigations and inquests including acting for Equestrian Australia in the Inquests into the deaths of Olivia Inglis and Caitlyn Fischer.
- Acting for construction principals and contractors in defence of claims arising from industrial accidents, including personal injury claims, compensation to relatives and nervous shock claims, 151Z recovery actions and SafeWork investigations and prosecutions.
- Acting in defence of intentional tort claims for assault and battery including catastrophic injury claims.
- Acting for gymnasiums, clubs/leisure centres, personal trainers and coaches in defence of personal injury claims.
- Acting for day care centres, leisure and recreation facilities, schools and churches relating to, in particular, injuries to children including psychological injuries.
- Acting for retail owners, occupiers, and contractors in the defence of personal injury claims.
- Providing advice and guidance on risk management and critical incident response.
- Acting for medical and health professionals in defence of medical negligence claims.
- Acting for health care providers in relation to Health Care Complaint Commission investigations, disciplinary investigations and action, and audits.
- Advising on and defending defamation claims and management liability claims.
Property damage and product liability
- Acting for construction contractors in the defence of property damages claims.
- Acting for manufacturers and suppliers in defence of product liability claims.
Awards and recognition
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 and 2022Recommended – Insurance
Doyle's Guide to the Australian Legal Profession 2020-2021Leading Public & Product Liability Lawyers – Defendant (New South Wales)
- Women in Insurance
- Medico-Legal Society of NSW
- Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association
- Women Lawyers Association of NSW
Insurance | 8 Apr 2022
The High Court has overturned a decision from the NSW Court of Appeal and allowed an appeal by Emily Tapp who suffered catastrophic injuries on 8 January 2011 while competing in a campdraft competition organised by the Australian Bushmen’s Campdraft & Rodeo Association.