'Nick is always available, responds quickly and provides clear and practical advice. He is acutely aware of costs which is reflected in his very reasonable approach to fees.' – Group Legal Counsel of a leading Australian finance company
Nick has 21 years’ experience acting for Australian and international financiers and borrowers in corporate finance, acquisition finance, real estate finance and general finance across a range of sectors including financial services, property and technology.
Prior to joining Hall & Wilcox in January 2016, Nick gained significant top tier private practice, both in Australia (Minter Ellison, Baker McKenzie) and in London (Clifford Chance). He also has first rate in-house experience, having been the sole Australian legal counsel for three years at Fortress Investment Group (an asset-based investment management fund with funds under management of US$41.6 billion). Nick has also completed multiple client secondments including at a major Australian bank and a niche financial services provider to global private equity and hedge fund managers.
Nick’s private practice and in-house roles have provided him with broad sector experience, a wealth of commercial experience, a particular insight into the needs and requirements of his clients and an ability to isolate 'what really matters' to them.
Nick is actively involved in Hall & Wilcox’s social and affordable housing group initiatives, and is recognised for his technical excellence and commitment to ensuring efficient outcomes for his clients.
Nick is recommended in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020 in banking and finance.
- Advising Compass Housing Group on a PPP project known as the Social and Affordable Housing Fund Stage 1.
- Acting for Hume Community Housing in connection with its NHFIC refinancing.
- Acting for HousingFirst in connection with its NHFIC refinancing.
- Acting for Compass Housing Group on all debt related aspects of the Hunter Residences Project.
- Advising community housing providers on social housing transfer management projects in New Zealand including the Christchurch Social Housing transfer and the Invercargill Social Housing Transfer.
- Acting for Bendigo and Adelaide Bank at the terms sheet stage as lead arranger in connection with the proposed syndicated facility agreement with Evolve in connection with acquisition of 23 boarding houses and 134 units.
- Acting for the financiers on an A$300 million syndicated corporate finance facility to a resource company.
- Acting for the financiers on an A$200 million club corporate financing provided to an international biomedical conglomerate.
- Acting for the financier on an A$20 million bilateral finance facility in relation to the acquisition of a medical services group.
- Acting for the financier on an A$50 million bilateral finance facility in relation to the acquisition of Cape Crushing.
- Acting for the financiers relation to the A$107 million syndicated corporate and acquisition finance facility provided to Force Corp Pty Limited.
- Acting for the financier on an A$53,000,000 million bilateral facility provided to Next Capital in relation to the acquisition of Aero-Care.
- Acting for the financier on an A$14 million bilateral facility provided to Archer Capital Growth Fund in relation to the acquisition of Keycorp Pty Limited.
- Acting for the financier in relation to the provision of a US$25 million trade receivables finance facility to an international resource company.
- Acting for the financiers on an A$40 million syndicated finance facility in relation to the acquisition of Paxus Australia Pty Limited.
- Acting for the financier on an A$70 million unsecured bilateral finance facility to a leading Australian university.
- Acting for the financier on the A$2.1 billion syndicated revolving and bridge facilities for FOXTEL Group's acquisition of 100% of Austar United Communications Limited.
- Acting for Westpac on an A$55 million bilateral facility provided to Navis Capital in relation to the acquisition of Field Marketing Services.
- Acting for the financier on an A$100 million corporate finance facility provided to Jetset Group Limited in conjunction with its merger with the Stella Travel Group.
- Acting for Intermediate Capital Group in relation to its proposed mezzanine finance facility as part of bid by Hellman Friedman to acquire MYOB.
- Acting for a club of seven banks (domestic and non-domestic) on the A$200 million refinancing of an Australian manufacturer and distributer of chemical products to a corporate group across seven jurisdictions.
- Acting for a club of three banks on the A$700 million refinancing of an Australian agribusiness.
- Acting for the financiers on an A$520 million syndicated property finance facility to a major property group.
- Acting for the financier on an A$25 million bilateral construction finance facility to a joint venture for the conversion of an existing mixed use retail and residential building in North Sydney to an exclusive residential apartment block.
- Acting for the financer on a mezzanine construction finance facility to a property development company in relation to the construction of affordable accommodation in Darwin.
- Acting for the financier on an A$10 million bilateral construction finance facility to a well-known construction and property development company in relation to the construction of apartments in Lane Cove, Sydney.
- Acting for the Security Trustee in relation to the restructuring of the club facilities provided to the Hastie Group.
Turnaround & Corporate Renewal | 18 Nov 2020
While most of our attention this year has been focused on the COVID-19 situation, the trade difficulties that have been unfolding between Australia and our leading importer, China, have escalated.