'Nick is responsive, customer focused, a subject matter expert, with good ideas to roadblocks.' – Client feedback 2021
Nick has 21 years’ experience acting for Australian and international financiers and borrowers in corporate finance, acquisition finance, real estate finance and general finance across a range of sectors including financial services, property, health, social and affordable housing and technology.
Prior to joining Hall & Wilcox in January 2016, Nick gained significant top tier private practice experience in Australia (Minter Ellison, Baker McKenzie) and in London (Clifford Chance). He also has first rate in-house experience, having been the sole Australian legal counsel for three years at Fortress Investment Group (a New York-headquartered asset based investment management fund with funds under management of USD$41.6 billion). Nick has completed multiple client secondments including at a major Australian bank and a niche financial services provider to global private equity and hedge fund managers.
This broad mix of private practice and in-house experience, combined with broad industry experience and a wealth of commercial experience gives Nick a particular insight into the needs and requirements of clients and an ability to isolate ‘what really matters’ to them.
Nick is actively involved in Hall & Wilcox’s social and affordable housing group initiatives, and is recognised for his technical excellence and commitment to ensuring efficient outcomes for his clients.
- Acting for Wingate on various bilateral construction, land acquisition and corporate finance facilities to borrowers across New South Wales and Victoria.
- Acting for Qualitas on various bilateral and syndicated construction and land acquisition finance facilities (senior debt fund, mezzanine debt fund and construction debt fund) to borrowers across New South Wales and Victoria.
- Acting for MaxCap Group on various bilateral construction and investment facilities to borrowers across New South Wales and Queensland.
- Acting for Quintet Yorkway in connection with numerous construction facilities across New South Wales and Victoria.
- Acting for an Australian real estate investment trust in relation to a $150 million syndicated facility secured by a portfolio of real and other property throughout the east coast of Australia.
- Acting for an Australian real estate investment trust in relation to the conversion of a $215 million syndicated facility secured by a portfolio of commercial property to a club structure.
- Acting for a leading global supplier of integrated food processing and packaging solutions in relation to a $45 million syndicated facility agreement provided by a global fund leading negotiations across 6 jurisdictions (Australia, New Zealand, England, United States, The Netherlands and Mexico).
- Acting for a UK based food group in relation to the Australian aspects of its global financing arrangements (including the UK, Europe, the US and Australia).
- Acting for a major health food franchise group in connection with the refinancing of its corporate and acquisition finance facilities.
- Assisting corporate partner in acting for the owner of AM Group (the largest manufacturer and supplier of commercial roller shutters in Australia) on its $220 million sale to Assa Abloy.
- Acting for Westpac in connection with numerous facilities relating to acquisition finance, construction finance, property finance and general corporate finance.
- Acting for St George Bank in connection with numerous facilities across property finance, health, construction finance, manufacturing, hotels and pubs.
- Acting for Bendigo and Adelaide Bank across a range of industry segments.
- Acting for Wingate in corporate finance facilities used in connection with the acquisition of a franchised gym group with US origins and for working capital facilities for a craft brewing group.
- Acting for CVS Lane in connection with numerous facilities across property finance and construction finance to borrowers across the east coast of Australia.
- Acting for various private debt funds in connection with property finance and construction finance to borrowers across the east coast of Australia.
- Acting for Queens Lane Capital in connection with the debt component of a private equity acquisition of a group of companies involved in the supply and installation of building products and services.
- Acting for a Sydney based property developer with its various construction and acquisition facilities with ANZ, CBA, NAB, St George, Qualitas and Gresham.
Social and Affordable Housing expertise
- Acting for Compass Housing in connection with the funding by the National Housing Financing and Investment Corporation (NHFIC) of both the Social & Affordable Housing (SAHF) project and its core debt facility. The NHFIC offers loans, investments, and grants to encourage investment in housing, with a particular focus on affordable housing. We negotiated the facility agreement and all security documents, along with tripartite deeds, with the relevant NSW Government departments including Family and Community Services (FACS) and Land and Housing Corporation (LAHC).
- Acting for Hume Community Housing Association in connection with the first announced funding by the NHFIC. Negotiating the facility agreement and all security documents, along with tripartite deeds, with the relevant NSW Government departments including Family and Community Services (FACS) and Land and Housing Corporation (LAHC).
- Acting for HousingFirst in connection with loans from the Treasury Corporation of Victoria in connection with social and affordable housing projects, and also in connection with the first NHIF infrastructure financing from the NHFIC.
- Acting for Unison Community Housing in connection with its NHFIC refinancing.
Awards and recognition
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 - 2020Banking and Finance
- Law Society of NSW
Banking & Finance | 27 Sep 2021
ASIC has released its final guidance on the new hawking regime that commences on 5 October 2021.