Melinda provides strategic and practical advice on a range of employment and industrial relations law issues.
She has extensive experience in the drafting and implementation of enterprise agreements, including advising on compliance with good faith bargaining obligations and the industrial action provisions of the Fair Work Act 2009. She is also experienced in negotiations on enterprise agreements and in resolving workplace industrial relations issues.
Melinda regularly advises clients on the employment-law related aspects of commercial transactions, the implementation of corporate restructures, transfers of business and outsourcing arrangements. She also regularly provides strategic advice to clients on the performance management of employees, employee discipline and the implementation of redundancies and workplace change.
Melinda is experienced in advising and handling unfair dismissal applications, general protections claims and disputes in the Fair Work Commission.
Clients find Melinda easy to deal with and appreciate her honest and straightforward approach. She takes the time to understand her clients’ businesses and goals and works with them to achieve practical and commercial solutions.
- Advising on independent contractor arrangements, drafting independent contractor agreements and conducting workforce audits.
- Advising on compliance with the Fair Work Act 2009, including advice on the National Employment Standards and modern awards.
- Drafting and advising on the implementation of enterprise agreements, including communication strategies, submissions and appearing before the Fair Work Commission.
- Advising on the negotiation strategy, preparation and implementation of enterprise agreements for an ASX listed financial institution, including attending bargaining meetings with the relevant unions.
- Advising Regis Aged Care on the implementation of enterprise agreements throughout Australia including providing strategic advice on bargaining and related industrial issues.
- Advising on protected action ballots, workplace determinations, right of entry and various industrial issues involving the ANF, HSU and United Voice.
- Representing clients in investigations by regulators, including the Fair Work Ombudsman and Australian Taxation Office.
- Advising on the transfer of business provisions of the Fair Work Act 2009 and preparing transfer of business applications.
- Advising on employment aspects in the acquisition of the Melbourne Heart A-League franchise by City Football Group (Manchester City Football Club) and interests associated with the Melbourne Storm NRL franchise.
- Advising Realestate.com.au Pty Ltd (a wholly owned subsidiary of REA Group Ltd) on employment issues relating to its acquisition of 1Form Online Pty Ltd, a leading online tenancy application service in Australia and New Zealand.
- Advising on independent contractor and employment aspects of the merger of Franklyn Scholar Group, a leading Australian training services provider, with Kaplan Inc., a global education provider and subsidiary of The Washington Post.
- Advising Boost Juice founders, Janine and Jeff Allis, in relation to the employment aspects of the sale of a majority stake in Boost Investment Group to US-based private equity firm, The Riverside Company.