Matthew is a general commercial lawyer with more than 18 years’ experience covering a range of areas of practice including private M&A, general commercial and corporate transactions, projects and advisory work, family succession arrangements, non-contentious employment matters, property, contracts and governance.
Matthew’s clients include:
- public sector bodies including Victorian Government departments, public sector agencies and local councils;
- prominent family groups across several industries including agribusiness, transport and retail; and
- not-for-profits including the developer of a new ecoutourism development on the Great Ocean Road to be run as a social enterprise.
Matthew had a stint as an in-house lawyer and has undertaken secondments with several listed companies and WorkSafe Victoria.
In addition to his commercial law experience, Matthew is a member of the advisory board of a registered environmental organisation based in South-West Victoria and is a director of several not-for-profit public companies in the tourism and education sectors.
- Advising several Victorian government departments in relation to significant procurement and contract matters.
- Advising a large national sporting organisation in relation to proposed organisational and governance reforms.
- Acting in the acquisition of the Melbourne Heart A-League franchise by City Football Group (Manchester City Football Club) and interests associated with the Melbourne Storm NRL franchise.
- Advising in relation to the Australian aspects of the sale of Sealed Air’s Diversey Care business to Bain Capital.
- Acting for the seller of a significant Victorian extractive industries business to an Australian subsidiary of HeidelbergCement Group.
- Advising a group of directors of a prominent national sporting organisation in relation to various corporate and governance issues.
- Acting for the seller of a national insurance underwriting agency business to QBE.
- Acting for a major Australian bank in a range of commercial matters and transactions.
- Acting for the founders (Tony and Maureen Wheeler) and private equity sellers in relation to the sale of the Lonely Planet travel book business to BBC Worldwide.
- Advising in relation to several merger and acquisition transactions in the telecommunications industry.
- Acting in relation to the purchase of a number of agribusinesses.
Thinking | 11 Sep 2019
In this edition of our newsletter for the public sector, you’ll find an update on a landmark High Court ruling on free speech, hear about Daniel Simms from the City of Wanneroo and meet Partner Alison Baker, among other interesting articles...