'Kylie Groves and the Hall & Wilcox team are very helpful, quick to respond and provide a realistic view as to the merits of each case.' – Michele Hardesty-Munday, Sussex Street Community Law Service Inc
Kylie is a senior practitioner with extensive experience in advising both government and non-government clients across all areas of employment, workplace relations, discrimination and health and safety law.
Before beginning her legal career, Kylie worked for more than 10 years in industrial relations including several years as an Associate to the President of the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission and over eight years with the Australian Industrial Relations Commission (during which time she held an appointment as a Deputy Industrial Registrar).
Kylie's wide ranging experience enables her to assist clients with developing strategies to deal with complex workplace issues. She has unique experience in relation to union rules including eligibility rules and considerable experience in advising and assisting registered organisations.
In addition, Kylie's practice includes defending clients in health and safety prosecutions, conducting large scale investigations into employee misconduct, presenting seminars and training on workplace law issues and conducting health and safety audits.
She has been listed for the last three years in The Best Lawyers in Australia in Occupational Health & Safety and is listed as a recommended Employment and Workplace Health and Safety lawyer in Western Australia in Doyle's Guide.
- Conducting investigations on behalf of employers regarding employee misconduct.
- Advising and drafting a range of a modern award and NES compliant common law contracts for an employer in the construction industry.
- Advising on senior executive remuneration issues including incentive programs and drafting common law contracts for various CEOs.
- Advising on separation arrangements for senior employees.
- Providing strategic advice to a state government agency relating to employment implications arising from proposed changes to the legislative scheme under which the agency operated.
- Providing strategic advice to a national stevedoring company on the interpretation of a collective agreement in the context of a dispute over manning levels.
- Providing strategic advice to the state government on the impact of the Work Choices legislation on the state industrial relations system.
- Acting for a large federal agency in obtaining injunctions from the Federal Court of Australia to prevent industrial action by unions.
- Representing a major food manufacturer regarding the applications made for secret ballot orders.
- Providing strategic advice to a national transport company on terminating a bargaining period and opposing secret ballot applications.
- Obtaining urgent return to work orders from Fair Work Australia when unlawful industrial action was taken by a significant part of an employer’s workforce.
- Advising and representing an employer in the food manufacturing industry regarding a large scale redundancy which included proceedings in Fair Work Australia and an appeal to the full bench on the interpretation of the redundancy entitlement in the relevant collective agreement.
- Providing strategic advice to a number of employers in different industries in relation to bargaining and agreement making.
Occupational Health & Safety
- Representing a major mining industry service provider in the largest occupational health and safety prosecution undertaken in Western Australia.
- Providing advice to a transport company and assisting its employees with legal advice following a major incident involving a fuel tanker explosion.
- Undertaking a health and safety audit and gap analysis for an employer in the construction industry and an employer in the food manufacturing industry
- Advising and representing a not-for-profit organisation before the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) regarding a complaint of discrimination in employment on the ground of religious beliefs.
- Advising and representing a large retailer before the AHRC on a complaint of discrimination in the provision of goods and services on the grounds of race.
- Advising and representing an employer in the construction industry on a complaint of discrimination in the area of contractor arrangements on the grounds of family status.
- Advising and representing an employer in the construction industry on a complaint of discrimination in the area of marital status. Conducting client seminars and training on equal opportunity in employment.
- Representing a Victorian government department in Supreme Court proceedings which involved providing advice on statutory interpretation including the Victorian and Commonwealth constitutions and the validity of regulations.
- Advising and representing various statutory boards on a number of matters including procedural matters related to the conduct of disciplinary hearings, interviewing complainants and other witnesses in preparing for hearings, drafting notices of inquiry, preparing and instructing counsel for hearings and acting in proceedings.
- Advising and representing clients in proceedings in Fair Work Australia, the Western Australian Industrial Relations Commission and the Western Australian Industrial Magistrates’ Court.
- Industrial Relations Society of Western Australia
- Australian Labour Lawyers Association
Thinking | 18 Sep 2019
Some important issues have been clarified at the Royal Commission into Violence, Abuse, Neglect and Exploitation of People with Disability’s first public sitting held in Brisbane on 16 September 2019...