Katarina is a litigation lawyer, focusing on medical defence claims and general liability.
Katarina has acted for public hospitals, rural doctors, disability service providers and correctional facilities in civil litigation and Coronial Inquests.
Katarina is also experienced in general personal injury litigation, defending claims under the Wrongs Act and Workplace Injury and Rehabilitation Act, and solicitors’ negligence cases arising out of the management of personal injury litigation.
- Acting on behalf of health care providers, correctional facilities and disability service providers in Coronial Inquests arising out of deaths in care.
- Acting on behalf of health care providers in proceedings arising out of: the failure to warn; the failure to diagnose; alleged negligent psychiatric management, surgical technique and emergency care.
- Defending common law actions against a statutory body arising in reliance on legal defences available under the Road Management Act.
- Summary dismissal of a ‘lost chance’ claim against a solicitor for negligence and/or breach of contract by a former client relying on the legal defences of advocates’ immunity, reliance on Counsel, res judicata and issue estoppel. The plaintiff sought to have the judgment set aside, which was successfully defended all the way to the High Court of Australia. [Karam v Aloe & Co Pty Ltd:  VSC 609;  HCASL 44;  HCASL 206;  HCASL 207;  VSCA 123].
- Successfully defending an occupier’s liability claim made against a medical centre by the Victorian WorkCover Authority under section 138 of the Accident Compensation Act, and obtaining an indemnity costs order against the Victorian WorkCover Authority.
- Successfully defending a Serious Injury Application on behalf of a self-insurer by arguing that a worker did not sustain serious injury during the course of employment with my client. [Kostur v Mars Sugar Australia Pty Ltd and Mars Australia Pty Ltd  VCC 1586].
- Law Institute of Victoria