Joel is an experienced and well-rounded insurance lawyer, who is always accessible to his clients and delivers prompt, pragmatic and comprehensive analysis and advice. Joel communicates difficult legal concepts and factual issues in plain language. He develops clear and precise claims management strategies for insurers.
Joel is an experienced advocate and represents insurers at all stages of litigation.
He has been recognised in The Best Lawyers in Australia in Insurance Law every year since 2014 and as a leading workers compensation lawyer in WA in Doyle's Guide to the Australian Legal Profession.
Joel is a WA Committee member for the Australian Insurance Law Association.
- Junior counsel for the successful appellant in Dossett v TKJ Nominees Pty Ltd (2003) 218 CLR 1.
- Counsel for the successful respondent in Beer v Duracraft Pty Ltd  WASCA 192.
- Negotiating a settlement of a multi-party professional liability claim where the damages claimed exceeded $10 m.
- Instructing solicitor in Ethnic Interpreters and Translators Pty Ltd v Sabri-Matanagh  WASCA 186.
Awards and recognition
Best Lawyers in Australia 2014 - 2021Partner – Insurance Law
- Law Society of Western Australia
Insurance | 1 Jul 2020
No compensation due to (not so shocking) finding of fact: worker's appeal dismissed after electric shock injury
The District Court has dismissed a worker’s appeal that he had suffered an alleged electric shock injury from a cash register at a drive-through bottle shop, as no question of law was involved.