Jillian provides practical and commercially-minded advice to private and public sector employers on a wide range of labour and employment and privacy matters.
Her particular areas of expertise include discrimination and the management of injured workers, bullying, harassment and employee misconduct issues. She also regularly provides strategic advice in relation to organisational change and the conduct of large-scale restructuring exercises, advising and representing clients in a wide range of employment disputes including adverse action and unfair dismissal claims.
In addition, Jillian is a registered migration agent and supports clients with global mobility issues including the relocation of senior employees, the employment aspects of establishing a business in Australia and business migration.
Prior to joining Hall & Wilcox, Jillian practised in the labour and employment teams of global law firms in the UK and Australia.
- Advising a client on a contractual variation exercise involving more than 500 employees operating across three locations. Subsequently supporting the same client through three redundancy exercises and associated legal proceedings.
- Advising in relation to privacy obligations of Australian subsidiary regarding the cross-border transfer of employment records to US holding company and third party cloud provider.
- Drafting senior executive employment agreements and consultancy agreements involving share options and bonus provisions.
- Advising a university in relation to its powers to revoke an academic award.
- Advising and representing education sector client in relation to adverse action claim by former employee alleging bullying following performance management process.
- Advising major-Australian land developer in relation to management of long term absence of employee and potential disability discrimination and adverse action claims.
- Advising and representing major Australian home builder in respect of multiple actions brought by former employees in respect of unfair dismissal, denied contract benefits and payment of minimum NES entitlements.
- Supporting global retail client in the establishment of its Australian operations including providing advice application of modern awards, preparing employment contracts for various levels of staff and associated policies and procedures and providing ongoing employment advice in relation to issues such as redundancy and termination.
- Advising US company on acquisitions in Australia, including issues relating to transfer of business, terms of employment, post-termination restraint of trade and business migration issues.
- Assisting a national UK recruitment company to establish its business in Australia, preparing employment documentation for various staff groups and reviewing and advising on labour hire contracts. Jillian has continued to provide ongoing employment and business migration advice as the company has developed within Australia, providing advice in relation to the management of ill employees, health and safety obligations and relocation of senior managers.
- Women Lawyers of Western Australia
- Law Society of Western Australia
- Industrial Relations Society of Western Australia
COVID-19 Thinking | 28 May 2020
Our Employment team developed a webinar that looked at the key work health and safety, and privacy issues that businesses need to consider as employees return to the workplace. The team will also provide an update on JobKeeper and general employment considerations.