Ellie’s practice primarily consists of compensation and liability claims.
Ellie provides in-depth advice on Western Australian workers’ compensation, Seafarer and Comcare claims, liability claims and claims brought pursuant to the Fatal Accidents Act 1959 (WA).
Ellie has a well rounded view of the insurance industry, having practiced in both plaintiff and defendant litigation. Ellie’s plaintiff lawyer experience enables her to appreciate the plaintiff perspective, which assists in negotiation and resolution of appropriate claims.
Ellie acts for large commercial clients and major Australian insurers. Ellie frequently represents her clients at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, the District Court of Western Australia, the Supreme Court of Western Australia and the Conciliation and Arbitration Services at WorkCover WA.
Ellie ensures that she obtains the best possible result for clients by resolving matters swiftly and cost effectively where possible. Ellie has also been instructing solicitor on successfully litigated matters, such as Kremer v Sandfire Resources NL  WADC 20 and Uprety v Serco Australia Pty Ltd  WADC 53.
In addition to her insurance practice, Ellie has been involved in a variety of pro bono matters on a global, national and local scale. Ellie has been awarded Certificates of Appreciation by Law Access WA for her contribution to pro bono practice every year since 2018.
Ellie also works with the disadvantaged in the local community. Ellie volunteers for the Australian Business and Community Network to mentor high school students from low socio-economic backgrounds to obtain successful employment and encourage strong goal setting for success. Ellie also volunteers to cook for the Ronald McDonald House in Nedlands for families from regional WA who have a sick child in hospital receiving treatment.
- Instructing solicitor on the successful District Court appeal Jewel Cave Cafe v Bromic Pty Ltd  WADC 34 seeking orders for pre-action discovery.
- Instructing solicitor in the successful District Court action Kremer v Sandfire Resources NL  WADC 20.
- Instructing solicitor in the successful workers’ compensation appeal Uprety v Serco Australia Pty Ltd  WADC 53.
- Appearing and negotiating claims at mediations and conciliations, in Western Australia and other jurisdictions.
- Successfully defended claims on the basis of a ‘State of Connection’ argument and that the worker’s claim is not appropriately brought within the State of Western Australia, pursuant to section 20 of the Workers’ Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981 (WA).
- Provided extensive advice to clients when a dispute has arisen as to liability between employers and insurers in statutory workers’ compensation claims.
- Provided extensive advice on recovery of statutory payments made to an injured worker following the negligence of a third party and subsequently commenced numerous proceedings at the Supreme Court seeking indemnity orders.
- Provided practical and pragmatic advice on settlement for sensitive matters, including allegations of sexual assault and severe sexual harassment, catastrophic injuries and fatality claims.
- Delivered assorted training seminars for insurer and employer clients on claims management, liability, indemnity and rehabilitation.
Awards and recognition
Lawyers Weekly 30 Under 30 AwardsFinalist – Insurance
Insurance Business Australia Young Guns 2021
- Committee Member, Australian Insurance Law Association
- Member of the Education Committee, Law Society of Western Australia
- Member of the Young Lawyers Committee, Law Society of Western Australia
- Women Lawyers of Western Australia
- Young Insurance Professionals Australia