Ceri is a financial lines and construction professional indemnity lawyer with over 25 years’ experience defending and resolving claims on behalf of solicitors, accountants, engineers from many disciplines, town planners, valuers, financial advisers, insurance brokers, directors, officers and trustees. She also handles employment practices and management liability claims, provides drafting and coverage advice on all types of insurance policies and has successfully defended insurers in contested policy disputes.
Ceri is a past president of the Australian Professional Indemnity Group’s Queensland Chapter and listed lawyer in Best Lawyers in Australia for Litigation, ADR, Insurance Law, Professional Malpractice Litigation and Legal Malpractice Litigation every year since 2016, including as Queensland Professional Malpractice Litigation lawyer of the year for 2019 and Queensland Insurance Lawyer of the Year for 2023.
- Defence and resolution of claims for valuers in respect of lending transactions and a fair market rent determination.
- Defence and resolution of more than 100 claims against solicitors on behalf of insurers and on direct instructions from national firms, arising out of diverse areas of practice including lending, leasing, commercial and residential property conveyancing, business sales, planning and environment, capital raising, litigation, Wills and Estates and family law.
- Defence and resolution of a substantial claim against mechanical and process engineers arising from the construction and commissioning of a fuel storage facility.
- Coverage advice for and resolution of a substantial loss mitigation claim by a principal contractor arising from the upgrade of a waste management plant.
- Defence and resolution of complex proceedings involving 14 parties arising from construction of a residential tower and subsidence under the building next door.
- Defence and resolution of multi-faceted proceedings against a bank owned AFSL holder arising from actions of a non-compliant authorised representative.
- Successful defence at trial and appeal of an insurer declining cover in respect of a claim by investors in a failed investment scheme.
Awards and recognition
Best Lawyers in Australia 2016-2024Recognised – Insurance Law ('Lawyer of the Year 2023'), Professional Malpractice Litigation and Legal Malpractice Litigation
Insurance | 25 Aug 2023
In latest judgment regarding solicitors’ negligence, the Supreme Court of New South Wales has handed down its decision in Boyded Industries Pty Ltd v Bluth & Ors.