Catherine is an experienced insurance lawyer who focuses on public liability and property damage claims.
Catherine has defended a diverse range of personal injury claims in NSW and the ACT on behalf of insured business owners including construction and building contractors, labour hire companies, hoteliers, licensed clubs, fitness centres, not for profit organisations, commercial cleaners, managing agents and owners of commercial premises.
Catherine has also acted for building contractors, manufacturers and suppliers in relation to property damage claims.
- Acted on behalf of a not for profit organisation in respect of a million dollar personal injury claim. Catherine provided detailed advice in respect of the law and likely interpretation of the client insured’s occupation of the premises in which the plaintiff injured himself. The stance adopted on behalf of the client at the informal settlement conference resulted in a consent judgment whereby a verdict was entered into in favour of the client insured.
- Advised a client insurer in relation to policy response following a property damage claim against the insured. The nature and timing of the damage meant that careful consideration of entitlement to indemnity was required. The claim progressed on the basis that there was partial coverage only.
- Acted on behalf of a supplier whose faulty product resulted in hundreds of thousands of damage to the claimant’s residential property. Catherine negotiated a significantly reduced commercial settlement based on the assertions that the evidence of the source of damage was inadequate.
- Acted on behalf of a well-known Hotel on the NSW south coast in which a plaintiff sued the Hotel as occupier together with a builder and sub-contractor after she injured herself on the dance floor.
- Acted on behalf of a club when a patron sued the Club after she collided with a stage, suffering injury, which resulted in a positive commercial outcome for the Club prior to the hearing