Bree has worked almost exclusively in Insurance and Risk since being admitted to the Supreme Court of Western Australia in 2004. She has extensive experience in managing general liability, treatment liability, motor vehicle personal injury and workers’ compensation claims. Bree has a particular interest in catastrophic injury claims.
Bree provides advice in relation to indemnity, liability and contribution, contractual indemnities, quantum and claims management strategy.
Bree has gained significant experience and knowledge in identifying, communicating with and managing experts since July 2004 and has developed invaluable working partnerships with numerous members of the independent bar.
Bree understands the importance of identifying when it is necessary to obtain expert evidence and has worked with a large number of medical and non-medical experts.
Bree is well aware of the long term benefits of performing thorough in depth investigations into the factual matrix of a claim. Through conducting these investigations, Bree is able to identify whether a claim is defendable and, if it is not, she can determine the most appropriate time and manner in which to consider settlement negotiations.
Over her years of practice, Bree has developed and implemented effective strategies to procure early and efficient resolution of claims by conciliation and mediation (if appropriate). Where settlement has not been in her client’s best interest, she has managed claims through to trials in the District Court, hearings at Work Cover WA and (where necessary) appeals to superior courts.
Bree is a member of the Australian Insurance Law Association (WA) and Law Society of Western Australia.
- A minor claimant sustained a serious head injury while at school causing long term deficit and limitations on the claimant’s future earning capacity;
- A minor claimant who allegedly broke his neck while diving into the ocean during a school excursion;
- A claim involving a plaintiff who became a paraplegic as a result of a cycling collision; and
- A minor claimant who suffered a serious wound to his arm while using power tools at school causing permanent damage and potential limitations on his future capacity.
- A wrongful death claim commenced against a medical practitioner arising from an alleged failure to diagnose and treat the deceased’s brain tumor;
- A wrongful birth claim arising from the alleged failed insertion of a contraceptive device;
- A nervous shock claim arising from the stillbirth of a child;
- Acting for a health service in relation to an allegation surrounding the use of prophylactic antibiotics in a patient with a prosthesis;
- A claim involving a plaintiff who suffered a sub-arachnoid hemorrhage at a relatively young age and the interventional neurosurgical treatment of the same at a public health service; and
- An infant claimant who was diagnosed with cerebral palsy and bilirubin encephalopathy following admission and treatment to an emergency department at a public health service.
Catastrophic Injury Claims
- A claim involving a plaintiff who sustained a significant brain injury after being hit with a large model helicopter during the course of her employment causing permanent neurological damage;
- A claim involving a plaintiff who suffered a severe stroke at a young age and the treatment of the plaintiff at a public health service following her admission to the emergency department;
- A plaintiff suffered a ruptured arteriovenous malformation and following treatment at rural health services, allegedly suffered left hemiplegia and cognitive difficulties; and
- A claim arising from a motor vehicle accident, the result of which, the plaintiff was catastrophically injured. The plaintiff required 24 hour a day care for the remainder of his life. The plaintiff returned to Taiwan to be cared for by his family and quantum had to be assessed having regard to the location of the plaintiff’s residence.
Motor Vehicle Personal Injury Claims
- A fatal accidents claim commenced by the deceased’s partner and young children giving rise to issues regarding the alleged de facto relationship between the deceased and her partner prior to her death and the care costs sought by the plaintiffs in light of contradictory contemporaneous evidence;
- A catastrophic claim involving a plaintiff with a significant pre-existing psychiatric illness who was deemed unfit to stand trial in criminal proceedings and who allegedly sustained an acquired brain injury as a result of a motor vehicle accident;
- Numerous claims involving plaintiffs who have undergone amputation of limbs as a result of motor vehicle accidents; and
- A claim arising from a motor vehicle accident causing extensive damage to a plaintiff’s dominant hand when the plaintiff had just completed dentistry at university and was unable to commence employment that he had secured prior to the accident.