Anthony is a lawyer specialising in employment and human rights. He provides advice and representation in relation to all areas of business and human rights, employment/industrial relations, workplace health and safety, Australian and international human rights law, discrimination law and modern slavery.
Anthony has substantial human rights experience in commercial settings, in the public sector, in academia and in civil society. He is a founding member of Hall & Wilcox’s Modern Slavery Working Group, and he has previously worked with the Australian Human Rights Commission (on secondment). He has also worked with numerous other notable human rights organisations and with Australia’s Special Rapporteur on Contemporary Forms of Slavery for the International Academy of Comparative Law.
Anthony is known for his expertise in Australian and international human rights law, business and human rights, discrimination and modern slavery. During his LLM at King’s College London, Anthony specialised in international human rights law and its domestic influence. He was awarded the King’s College London Prize for the Best Student on the LLM in recognition of ranking first in the LLM cohort, and he has also been awarded the Nicholas Auden International Scholarship, the Sir Owen Dixon Prize for International Law (supported by the International Commission of Jurists) and the LexisNexis Prize for Research and Writing.
Anthony teaches constitutional law and contract law with the Law Faculty at Monash University, and he has previously taught Australian discrimination law at the postgraduate level. He is also on the Executive Management Committee at Australian Lawyers for Human Rights.
- Advising large private sector clients in relation to their reporting obligations under the Modern Slavery Act 2018 (Cth), and assisting them in preparing their modern slavery statements.
- Providing strategic advice in relation to the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth), including the National Employment Standards, the general protections regime and the unfair dismissal regime.
- Providing advice on the interpretation of modern awards and enterprise agreements, and assisting businesses with operationalising relevant modern awards and enterprise agreements.
- Advising on child labour laws in all Australian jurisdictions.
- Advising various clients in relation to discrimination and sexual harassment claims under State and Federal legislation.
- Advising clients in relation to Australian human rights law, including the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006 (Vic), the Human Rights Act 2004 (ACT), and the Human Rights Act 2019 (Qld).
- Advising clients in relation to international human rights law, including the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, and the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Employment & Workplace Relations | 6 Sep 2021
This article identifies the different concepts that can be included in supply agreements to address modern slavery issues.