Andrew has extensive experience in the provision of advice and conduct of litigation for insurers.
Andrew regularly advises clients on public liability, product liability, professional indemnity, property and Industrial Special Risks (ISR), and class actions. He has advised general insurers on virtually all types of insurance policies and has experience of litigation in most jurisdictions.
Andrew is one of Melbourne’s best-known and well-respected insurance lawyers.
Andrew’s clients include a number of major Australian general insurers, compulsory third party insurers, and underwriting agencies.
Andrew is a member of the Australian and New Zealand Institute of Insurance and Finance and was the inaugural Chairman of their Liability Discussion Group. He is also a member of the Australian Insurance Law Association and the National Product Liability Association. He is an active public speaker within the industry, and has published a number of articles in industry journals.
Lawyers are commonly in love with the familiar routine of legal process. They ‘build’ files at significant cost. Andrew believes that clients have no interest in legal process but rather want results. They want good results and quick outcomes which are within expectations.
Andrew has an excellent understanding of the law but is not distracted by it. He blends practical actions with legal knowledge to cut through the nonsense and find the solution.
Andrew has been recognised in The Best Lawyers in Australia in Insurance Law, Personal Injury Litigation and Product Liability Litigation every year since 2018. He is also a preeminent public liability lawyer in Victoria in Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession.
- Advising in relation to the Longford Gas Plant explosion, Avgas contamination crisis, Hazelwood Power Station boiler failure, and Black Saturday bushfires.
- Advising the insurer of a caravan manufacturer about a sealant which failed on numerous caravans, including about recall and taking successful recovery action against the manufacturer.
- Successfully obtained a large double-insurance contribution from another insurer, involving analysis of section 45 of the Insurance Contracts Act 1984 (Cth).
- Acting for an insured timber merchant which had imported timber from Malaysia for supply to manufacturers. The timber was infested with Asian borer and had to be recalled, with a potential $4 million plus liability for the insured. Andrew worked closely with the insured to negotiate a workable solution, which resulted in a litigation-free process and negligible expenditure by our insurance client. The claim was efficiently managed and its potential volumes contained, helping the insured to preserve its industry reputation and customer relationships.
- Quick and economical settlement of a claim by a passenger alighting from an aircraft who suffered worsening of a chronic spinal condition.
- Complex analysis of a construction risk policy response to each of a long list of building defects, presented in table form.