Hall & Wilcox is a Recommended TMT Law Firm in Doyle’s Guide to the Legal Profession, 2015
We take a cross-practice approach to advice on technology, media and telecommunications issues. We work closely with our clients to proactively identify and advise on any issues that are crucial to their business decision-making.
Our team advises on:
- technology procurement: drafting, advising clients and assisting with negotiations on a range of technology contracts, including technology service agreements, cloud/software-as-a-service agreements, telecommunications agreements, software licence agreements, platform agreements and software development agreements, online privacy and terms and conditions
- commercial matters: structuring and negotiating commercial agreements including media rights, sponsorship and marketing agreements, general contract preparation, standard terms and conditions, and sales and purchases agreements
- intellectual property commercialisation: technology commercialisation agreements, research and development agreements, licensing of intellectual property rights, copyright protection, trade mark applications, infringements and oppositions, domain name advice, registration and disputes.
Technology and telecommunications
- Preparing IT integration agreements for a major vehicle finance company in relation to a significant online vehicle finance project.
- Acting for a high-profile IT company in relation to the preparation and negotiation of complex IT platform agreements.
- Advising a major Australian bank on a number of technology and telecommunications procurement contracts.
- Advising a major Australian university on significant software licensing agreements, including assisting with the negotiation of new licence agreements.
- Acting for a multi-national software vendor in relation to a major Victorian Government procurement project.
- Acting for CAUDIT in respect of software licenses from Microsoft to Australia’s most prominent universities, and advising on significant software support agreements to be entered into by these universities.
- Advising a technology company on its agreements for the provision of mobile website development, customisation and hosting services.
- Acting for Cricket Australia in relation to the sale of its Australian free-to-air television and digital rights for the period 2012/2013–2016/2017.
- Negotiating and drafting documents involving complex commercial and intellectual property issues relating to the sale by the AFL of its free-to-air television, pay television, online and mobile media rights for 2012–2016 (and for the previous 2007–2011 arrangements).
- Acting for major sporting organisations on negotiating and drafting numerous high-profile media rights arrangements for valuable sporting content, across multiple media platforms.
- Acting in Federal Court proceedings commenced by SingTel Optus Pty Limited concerning comments made by the AFL CEO in the media regarding Optus’s actions in reproducing footage.
- Advising V8 Supercars in relation to its sale of future media rights.
- Negotiating and drafting high-profile, high-value sponsorship agreements for public-listed sponsor companies of sporting teams and for sponsors of national sporting competitions.
- Acting for Apple and Pear Australia Ltd, Australia’s peak industry body, on complex trade mark proprietorship issues, trade mark infringement and enforcement matters, and trade mark licences relating to the well-known PINK LADY trade mark in respect to apples in various foreign markets in Japan, the EU, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, New Zealand, South Africa, Canada and other markets.
- Advising a joint venture company (Prevar), formed between the Australian and New Zealand apple and pear industries, to globally commercialise new varieties, including in relation to a licensing arrangement with a UK company.
- Acting on behalf of Sheehan Genetics in the licensing of new table grape varieties and related IP rights (predominantly plant breeders’ rights), in relation to outbound licensing of new varieties and inbound licensing of new varieties from a US company.
- Acting for a manufacturer in high-profile design infringement proceedings and associated trade practices claims.
- Advising a national financial services group on obtaining injunctions against former licensees for trade mark infringement, misleading and deceptive conduct and breaches of licensing agreements in the Federal Court.
- Providing strategic brand protection and managing a trade mark opposition for leading international children’s product brands, such as Baby Bjorn.
- Acting for one of Australia’s leading online fantasy game developers in the successful prosecution of a well-known trade mark for online fantasy sports games.