We have extensive experience in acting for clients in the sports and entertainment industries.
Our cross-practice team can assist clients with all industry matters, including:
- commercial: structuring and negotiating commercial agreements, including media rights, sponsorship and marketing agreements, general contract preparation, standard terms and conditions, and sales and purchases of sporting and entertainment businesses
- governance: drafting and implementing rules and regulations, structuring and restructuring sporting organisations, competitions and clubs, and advising on director’s duties and governance obligations
- litigation: commercial and non-commercial disputes and disciplinary matters, including in the Court of Arbitration for Sport
- intellectual property: licensing of intellectual property rights, copyright protection, trade mark applications, infringements and oppositions
- property: venue financing arrangements, building and construction projects, hiring, management and usage agreements
- employment and industrial relations: employment and contractor agreements, workplace strategies, industrial and common law disputes, termination of employment and redundancies, discrimination claims, immigration and visa applications
- individuals: talent agreements, athlete management advice, employment and sponsorship arrangements, taxation advice and Olympic selection disputes.
- Advising numerous national sporting organisations (NSOs) on governance, disciplinary matters and commercialisation.
- Negotiating and drafting documents for the sale of television and new media rights.
- Negotiating and drafting high-profile, high-value sponsorship agreements for public-listed sponsor companies of sporting teams and for sponsors of national sporting competitions.
- Advising on estate and tax planning for high-profile individuals in the entertainment and sporting industries.
- Making submissions to government on behalf of sporting organisations.
- Acting for sporting organisations and directors in a merger with a national sporting club.
- Advising purchasers and sellers of NASCAR and V8 Supercar teams.
- Acting for an Australian subsidiary in the sale of its household sporting brand, as part of the global sales of the sporting goods businesses by its US parent.
- Licensing intellectual property of sporting organisations.
- Advising an extreme-sports clothing and equipment brand in relation to start-up and financing arrangements.
- Acting for the vendor in the sale of a golf club manufacturing business.