What is Frank Lab?
Frank Lab is our six-month program that offers legal support and networking opportunities to help selected startups (for profit and for impact) grow their business.
Subscribe to Frank news
Frank Lab overview
As part of the six-month program, participants will receive:
- $5000 to spend on legal services/documents.
- Allocation of an experienced lawyer as your own trusted advisor.
- Regular meetings to assist in prioritising your legal and commercial needs.
- Access to our space, our technology and our Smarter Law solutions.
- Access to our networks e.g. accountants, investors etc.
Frank Lab is for startups
(for profit or for impact) that:
- Solves a genuine problem or serves a genuine need (which definitely includes social impact-focused startups).
- Has traction with customers or market validation.
- Are preparing to capital raise.
- Are looking to scale or move into other markets.
Applicants will be assessed based on the following broad criteria:
- The problem you are solving/your value proposition.
- Your team and people.
- Traction and customers.
- Legal and other professional support likely to be required in the next 12 months.
The Frank community
Frank Lab is capped at 10 start-ups. By applying, you automatically become part of our Frank community. If we are unable to offer you a place in this intake of Frank Lab, you can still access the following services:
- An obligation-free meeting to prioritise your business needs.
- Access to our dedicated team of industry experts.
- A commitment to fixed fees and cost certainty.
- Access to our network of connections (eg investors and accountants).
- All the benefits of being part of the Frank community – networking with like-minded start-ups, invitations to events and access to useful materials.
Frank Lab program
Read more about our Frank Lab businesses
Advisory Board Members
Peter Williams is a recognised thought leader and practitioner in Innovation. Peter started working with internet technologies in 1993 and in 1996 founded an eBusiness Consulting group, Deloitte Australia. Since that time Peter has been the CEO of the Eclipse Group, a Deloitte subsidiary, and then founded Deloitte Digital. He is also the Chairman of Deloitte’s Innovation Council and the Chief Edge Officer. He was recently named one of Australia’s top Digital Influencers and is an Adjunct Professor at RMIT.
Nathan is the Head of Business Operations at Skedulo, a San Francisco based startup building a platform for Deskless Workforce productivity. Having previously co-founded Everproof, a digital identity startup that was acquired in 2019 by GO1, Nathan continues to be an active participant in the Australian startup community as a mentor in the Startmate accelerator program, writer for The Startup and advisor to pre-seed and seed stage companies.
Clare is an independent consultant who works with complex organisations to create, refine, and measure their purpose agendas and their innovation agendas. She also works with founders of a range of startups in advisory and coaching roles.
Clare’s professional experience is wide-ranging and spans blue-chip organisations and leadership roles in the corporate, government, non-profit and startup sectors. She was Deputy Director at the Melbourne Accelerator Program at the University of Melbourne, ranked 8th best in the world, where she helped increase the number of startups supported intensively by over 400%, and led the charge to integrate social impact throughout the program.
Clare is co-founder of a social enterprise that launched Australia’s first environmentally responsible transport and logistics company; consulted with McKinsey; has held executive government and not-for-profit non-executive director roles; and studied as a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford.
Marketing, brand strategy, and working with teams and individuals to bring their brands alive is the space Peter been consulting in for more than 20 years. Peter’s work has been defined by his sixth sense in unearthing brand propositions that are differentiating and inspiring. He has an excellent understanding of marketing, branding and strategic theory gained from his formal studies (B.Ec, MBA (Dux)) and his work as an academic in the early ’90s teaching Monash University MBA students Marketing and Strategic Marketing.
He has had the pleasure of working with a diverse range of organisations and individuals in sectors as varied as food and wine, place branding, utilities, education, financial services, professional services, celebrity chefs, sporting organisations, entrepreneurs and individuals on their career journeys.
He established Brand DNA in 2000 and, in 2010, merged with design specialist Storm to become the creative brand design agency Truly Deeply. In the past few years, Peter sold down his equity in Truly Deeply and established Singline & Co to focus on brand strategy and personal branding consulting – and a little more horse riding!