Mark is an experienced commercial lawyer who specialises in front end and back end construction law. His experience includes advising on all aspects of the construction process, building specifications and reports, building code, regulations, dispute resolution and negotiations.
He has advised on all aspects of a number of major building projects, including preparing and settling building contracts and specifications, council, permit and town planning applications, settling terms and conditions for suppliers and sub-contractors, tendering and liaising with engineers, architects and consultants. He also has extensive construction litigation experience and takes a common sense approach to reach practical and acceptable solutions for his clients. Mark combines his previous experience of working as a tradesman and registered builder, with being part of a construction team and an in-house legal team. His clients appreciate his industry knowledge and his highly developed written and verbal skills.
Major projects have included hospital and healthcare construction, school building developments, industrial developments, commercial buildings and shopping centres.
Mark’s previous experience includes working as legal counsel for the Seidler Group, a luxury home builder. He also spent seven years with Gaden Lawyers, specialising in construction law.
- Tendering, negotiating and drafting of building contracts and sub-contractor agreements for the likes of St Vincent’s Hospital, Epworth Hospital, Melbourne Girls’ Grammar School, Firbank Grammar, Sunshine City Council
- Advising on numerous litigation matters including briefing counsel, expert witnesses and consultants, instructing counsel and appearing in relation to disputes at VCAT and the lower courts
- Preparing, reviewing and advising on building contracts, consultancy agreements and services agreements for commercial buildings and shopping centres throughout Australia for AMP Capital Investments, Challenger Management Services, Australian Unity, REST and C-Bus Properties
- Acting for Construction Engineering in arbitrations related to delay claims on multiple school building projects as part of the Building the Education Revolution
- Preparing claims and negotiation settlements for WP Contractors related to delay and variation claims on multiple school building projects as part of the Building the Education Revolution
- Preparing and drafting responses and claims as part of Building and Construction Security of Payment Legislation.
- Reviewing Building Contracts and Tri-Partite Agreements for Westpac and ANZ Banking Group.
- Settling issues relating to illegal and incomplete works, building notices and warranty insurance for mortgagees in possession including Westpac Bank, ANZ Bank, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, National Australia Bank and GE Capital Finance.
- Representing and advising the owners of St Kilda Sea Baths in relation to leasing disputes and building defects.
- Acting on dispute matters relating to defective works in residential and commercial buildings.
- Appearing at the Building Practitioners Board on matters of Protection Works and alleged Building Act breaches on behalf of Pace Constructions.
- Successfully preparing, lodging and negotiating Builders’ Warranty Insurance Claims for individual home owners.
- Preparing and advising on Protection Works Notices.