David has more than 20 years’ experience advising and acting in public and product liability, professional indemnity, directors’ and officers’ liability and disciplinary matters. In particular, he has acted for allied health professionals and the ‘care’ sector throughout Australia and their member associations, on a range of matters including civil claims, disciplinary and coronial. He regularly advises on indemnity issues arising from allied health professional policies and on policy wording reviews and redrafting.
David has also represented a national retailer as well as other occupiers in numerous personal injury claims.
He is highly regarded in the industry by both his clients and peers and draws on practical experience from his former role as a senior claims specialist and general counsel at an international insurer.
David is listed in The Best Lawyers in Australia in insurance law for the last two years and as a recommended medical negligence & malpractice (defendant) lawyer in NSW in Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession.
- Successfully overturning on appeal a slip and fall decision of the District Court of NSW against a national retailer.
- Limiting damages in personal injury claims so as to obtain advantageous costs orders pursuant to Offers of Compromise.
- Investigating and defending income protection and similar claims on behalf of life insurers and superannuation fund trustees.
- Successfully defending District Court of NSW proceedings brought against a chiropractor alleged to have caused significant lower back injuries.
- Successfully defending Supreme Court of Western Australia proceedings brought against a physiotherapist alleged to have caused significant lower back issues.
- Successfully defending WA State Administrative Tribunal proceedings brought against a physiotherapist accused of molesting a patient (including on appeal).
- Successfully defending District Court of NSW proceedings brought against a prominent equine veterinary practice alleged to have misinterpreted radiology on a race horse (including on appeal).
- Representing pharmacists before various Tribunals in various states accused of dispensing anabolic steroids to body builders.
- Representing a podiatric surgeon alleged to have negligently performed surgery in a number of District Court of Queensland matters.
- Defending a dentist in Supreme Court of NSW proceedings alleged to have provided negligent and unnecessary dental work (including on appeal).
- Defending the owners of a pharmacy in Supreme Court of NSW proceedings involving the death of a passer-by due to a collapsed awning (including on appeal to the High Court).