“Alison is very responsive and a pleasure to work with. I would definitely use her again and would have no hesitation in recommending her services to other in-house colleagues”. – Emma Braun, Dairy Australia
Alison has close to 15 years’ experience in a wide-ranging employment practice, advising public and private sector clients on all aspects of employment, industrial relations and human resources law. She also advises public and private sector organisations on the application of privacy legislation and provides advice on FOI and Protected Disclosure legislation to public sector organisations.
Alison is listed in The Best Lawyers in Australia in employee benefits law every year since 2014. She is also listed as a recommended employment lawyer in Victoria in Doyle’s Guide to the Australian Legal Profession.
Clients appreciate the easy-to-deal-with and solutions-focused approach that Alison brings when assisting them to navigate a complex and highly regulated legal environment. Alison provides legal advice and assistance that is technically excellent but which always gives consideration to a client’s business imperatives, including financial, commercial and reputational considerations.
Alison advises a broad cross-section of small and large public and private sector clients, including universities, local government, government agencies and statutory corporations, large corporate entities, and small-to-medium enterprises.
Employment and Industrial Relations
- Providing strategic advice on compliance with the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth), including advice on the National Employment Standards and modern awards.
- Advising on, and assisting with the bargaining and implementation of, enterprise agreements in accordance with the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth).
- Drafting and advising on terms and conditions of employment for all levels of employees, including executive service agreements for executive level employees.
- Advising on the use of independent contractor arrangements and drafting independent contractor agreements.
- Advising on the restraint and confidentiality obligations of former employees and acting for employers where their former employees have breached their restraint and confidentiality obligations.
- Advising on the transfer of business rules under the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth).
- Advising on compliance with State and Federal anti-discrimination and equal opportunity legislation, including workplace policy formulation and implementation, and acting for employers in the defence of discrimination, sexual harassment and bullying claims.
- Advising on the effective performance management and disciplining of employees, including advising on termination of employment strategies and negotiated exits.
- Acting in industrial relations and employment litigation including bullying claims, unfair dismissal claims, unlawful termination claims, general protections claims, and common law disputes.
- Conducting workplace training and education on employment issues.
- Advising organisations on, and assisting organisations with, compliance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and various State privacy and surveillance legislation, including advising on and drafting privacy policies, internal privacy guidelines, privacy terms in supplier contracts, and data transfer deeds.
- Conducting presentations and training workshops on privacy obligations and compliance, including staff compliance training.
- Assisting organisations with responding to breach of privacy claims.
- Advising organisations on issues arising under Freedom of Information legislation including:
- advising on public sector organisations’ obligations to provide access to documents;
- the applicability of exemptions to access under FOI legislation; and
- drafting submissions in response to requests for information made under FOI legislation.
Protected disclosure legislation
- Assisting organisations with responding to investigations by the Victorian Ombudsman into alleged improper conduct and breaches of the Victorian Protected Disclosure Act 2012.
- Assisting public sector entities regarding compliance with the Protected Disclosure Act 2012 (Vic) and the Independent Broad-based Anti-Corruption Commission Act 2011 (Vic), and with the management and response to disclosures made under the Protected Disclosure Act 2012 (Vic).