The Hall & Wilcox Land tax team offers comprehensive and practical advice on land tax matters to a wide range of domestic and overseas corporate clients and high net worth individuals, and across each State and Territory of Australia, drawing on years of experience in the area.
- Providing advice on all aspects of land tax, including application of absentee owner surcharge and eligibility for exemptions (eg principal place of residence exemption, primary production exemptions, aged care exemptions).
- Providing advice on the application of tax on vacant land including identifying whether the vacant land is a capital asset or a trading stock and eligibility for exemptions.
- Providing advice regarding structuring, including grouping and de-grouping of properties and taxpayers.
- Providing certainty for taxpayers by obtaining private rulings on their behalf from State Revenue Authorities.
- Assisting clients with investigations, reviews and audits instigated by State Revenue Authorities.
- Challenging land tax assessments including lodging objections to assessments of land tax and appeals in the Tribunals and Courts.
- Where appropriate, accessing informal dispute resolution mechanisms for clients to resolve land tax disputes, including settlement discussions, mediation and compromise assessments.
- Assisting clients with valuations and valuation disputes, including briefing of expert valuers and challenging State Revenue Authority valuations by way of objections and appeals.
- Achieving remission of penalty tax and interest by way of submissions to State Revenue Authorities.
- Obtaining second opinions from Senior Counsel on complex land tax issues.
- Reviewing, providing advice and making recommendations on trust documents in relation to whether a taxpayer is an absentee owner and liable to the surcharge.